Resident Advisor Application
Resident Advisors play an integral role in the quality of YoungArts programming and the mentorship of our YoungArts winners. For that reason, YoungArts has developed a selection process designed to identify qualified individuals.
The selection process provides an opportunity to share with us your qualifications and passion for the Resident Advisor position. It takes exceptional people to fulfill the many roles of a Resident Advisor and therefore, we take special care in selecting individuals with potential to develop leadership skills and grow within the YoungArts community.
Currently, YoungArts hires resident advisors for 5 programs: YoungArts Finals Week, YoungArts Los Angeles, YoungArts Miami, YoungArts New York, and Presidential Scholars in the Arts rehearsals and performance. You may request specific programs but be advised that, with the exception of National YoungArts Week, YoungArts aims to hire locally for regional experiences when possible and being available for multiple programs increases your chances of placement.
2018-19 Season Dates (subject to change)
YoungArts Finals Week (held in Miami): January 3-13, 2019
YoungArts Miami: February 16-24, 2019
YoungArts Los Angeles: March 23-31, 2019
YoungArts New York: April 20-28, 2019
Presidential Scholars: June 16 – 25, 2019
NOTE: All program date requirements have additional prep sessions prior to start.
- You MUST:
- Be a YoungArts Alumni!
- All award levels are encouraged to apply and past participation as a winner is not required.
- Be at least 21 years old at the time of program.
- Be able to arrive/depart the program on the dates outlined in the offer letter once hired.
- Have a personal working smartphone for business during contracted period.
- Be able to access resident advisor files by Google Drive during the program by using a personal smartphone, tablet, or laptop.
- Share a room with another RA during programming dates.
- Be in the United States at the time of travel to the program – YoungArts is not able to accommodate international travel due to limited training and prep time or provide additional housing outside of program dates.
- Local hires for regional programs when possible
- YoungArts has a limited travel budget and will hire out of town RAs for each program, but there must be a balance with local hires.
- Alumni 25 years and older with experience beyond college receive priority consideration
- First time advisors work on a regional program before becoming eligible to work YoungArts Week in January.
Compensation and Expectations
$15 an hour plus applicable overtime as determined by the state where the work is taking place.
YoungArts resident advisors are hired as part-time temporary employees of the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts d/b/a the National YoungArts Foundation. Resident advisors are not eligible for employment benefits.
A resident advisors duties begin early in the morning (7 - 8am) to late in the evening (11pm - Midnight) during the program over consecutive days. It is a very intense week that requires a great deal of focus and energy to get through. It is both taxing and incredibly rewarding. The position requires a flexibility due to the unpredictable nature of the actual time involved. Resident Advisors also receive all meals during the program, housing, ground transportation during the program, and out-of-town travel required for the program.
If you have any questions, please contact RA@youngarts.org.